The art of eight limbs is distinctive- Muay Thai kickboxing
Muay Thai is a combat sport also known as Thai boxing because of its origin that is Thailand. The practitioners of the sport commenced competing in kickboxing tournaments because of which it got the name Muay Thai kickboxing but as a sport, it is different from all other combat sports. Let us just circumscribe our comparisons with kickboxing only.
The discipline uses all eight body parts; fists, elbows, knees, and shins. That is the reason it is also referred to as ‘art of eight limbs. Kickboxing is also a stand-up combat sport but there are subtle differences in the style of play which we will pinpoint further.
- Muay Thai is a precise Martial Art style which has a customary technique which utilizes complete body movement whereas kickboxing refers to a contact form of punching and kicking. Practitioners in this sport can come from any form like boxing, karate, taekwondo, kung fu, etc.
- Kickboxing is 3 rounds and as such the fighters are active right from the start whereas Muay Thai is of 5 rounds and the starting 2 rounds are usually warm up rounds.
- Muay Thai allows elbows, upper body movements and leg trapping which is not approved in kickboxing. Multiple clinching techniques using clinch holds are part of Muay Thai.
- Muay Thai is referred to as rhythmic art as the combatants’ rhythm syncs with the round music song before actually competing
- Kickboxing is boxing based while Muay Thai is largely timing based; kick boxers throw volume combos whereas combatants in Muay Thai look to time weapons
- Muay Thai is the national sport of Thailand and as such lots of cultural elements like traditions and customs of Buddhist roots are practiced. Fighters do ceremonial dance and wear mongkon, a headpiece.
- Scoring system in both sports is distinct
- Kicks are differently executed in both games and names used are also different
- Dress codes of the sports differ; shorts are worn in Muay Thai which hasn’t replaced due to traditional values while long pants, tights or kimono pants are part of kickboxing
Both being combat sports the similarities cannot be denied and moreover Muay Thai kickboxing is the sports name in current times as it competes in worldwide as a combat competition. Many websites can be found online rendering training classes, and boxing shorts of the martial art sport are available for sports lovers.